All the hunters have a set of moves that allow them to investigate and deal with monsters. These are called the “basic moves.” There are eight basic moves:
- Act Under Pressure, used for any difficult or dangerous action that isn’t covered by another move.
- Help Out, used to help another hunter do something. If you succeed, you’ll give them a bonus on their task.
- Investigate a Mystery, used to work out what kind of monster you are dealing with, what it can do, and what it’s planning.
- Kick Some Ass, used for fighting. Fighting monsters, mainly.
- Manipulate Someone, used to try and get someone to do something for you, after you give them some kind of reason.
- Protect Someone, used to save someone from danger.
- Read a Bad Situation, used to work out what dangers are immediately threatening you. For instance, if you think you are walking into a trap, or want to do some tactical analysis.
- Use Magic, used to cast magic spells or use enchanted items.
In addition, each hunter playbook has its own set of moves. These are called “playbook moves.”